BOSTON, MA – January 25, 2018 – (HISPANICIZE WIRE) – As you know, on January 8, 2018, the Department of Homeland Security announced the termination of TPS for El Salvador. The termination date is delayed until September 9, 2019 and it affects around 200,000 Salvadorans who have been living in the United States since at least 2001.

Given the 2019 termination date, now is the time for all TPS beneficiaries from El Salvador and any other TPS holders to explore their different options and prepare a long-term plan with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer. The Department of Homeland Security has announced that the re-registration period for TPS holders from El Salvador started on January 18, 2018 and will continue through March 19, 2018, and it is important that TPS beneficiaries don’t miss the re-registration deadline.

TPS holders may be eligible to apply for Green Card or U.S. Legal Permanent Residency

It is important to know that some TPS holders may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency (Green Card) through marriage, family, or employment.

How could I be eligible for a Green Card as a TPS holder?

Immigration Attorney in Boston Desmond P. FitzGerald explains,

“Imagine that you are a TPS holder and one of your U.S. Citizen children is 21 years old (or close to 21 years). If you have applied for a travel document I-131 (“advance parole”) that allows you to travel outside of U.S. and re-enter, or you have already traveled with an approved advance parole, you might be eligible to adjust status in the U.S. when your 21-year-old child petitions for your Green Card or US Legal Permanent Residency through a family petition I-130.”

Please read: TPS to Green Card

In addition, TPS beneficiaries who have been involved with a removal proceedings case and received TPS after that, and those who have had a criminal charge, should have their cases carefully reviewed by an immigration attorney, as their cases may require additional legal procedures.

Can I still apply for Advance Parole (I-131) even though DHS has announced the termination of TPS?

“The short answer is yes, but as with any application, each case requires a thorough evaluation to determine if an application for advance parole is likely to be successful or if it is the appropriate action for your case.”, answers Attorney FitzGerald.

If you or any member of your family have TPS and you think that you may be eligible to apply for U.S. residency / green card through your family, marriage or employment, please call to our office located in Boston, Massachusetts, at 617-303-2600 (Ext. 0) or request an appointment online with one of our highly qualified Immigration lawyers in Boston, MA.

Read Immigration Newsletters

Source: What to do now if your TPS will be ending

About Desmond P. FitzGerald:
Attorney Desmond P. FitzGerald is the Principal and Managing Director of Fitzgerald Law Company in Boston, MA, with a successful track record serving the Massachusetts Community for over 20 years with all their legal needs in ImmigrationCriminal and Personal Injury Law. Attorney FitzGerald is admitted by the Bar to practice law in MA, NH, FL, and Washington D.C. and he is an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL). For more information, visit and